Pandora Jewelry - Fashion Jewelry
Black Friday Sales in Morristown, TennesseeYour Guide to the Best Day-After-Thanksgiving ShoppingAmanda Cartwright, Yahoo Contributor Network
If you're new to Morristown, you may be tempted to get up super early and head to Johnson City or Knoxville to get in on Black Friday values. That's really not necessary as Morristown itself has plenty of stores with great Black Friday savings. Consider this your guide. Set your alarm clock for 4:30, put on your sweats and head out to the first stop. Here are ten stops that you must make:
1. Wal-Mart. Okay, this is a no-brainer for Black Friday and for Christmas shopping. If you're on the far western end of Hamblen County, you may want to consider going to the Jefferson City Wal-Mart. Otherwise, begin your Christmas shopping at the Wal-Mart Supercenter on South Davy Crockett Parkway. This is located across the highway from Walters State and College Square Mall, which we'll discuss later. Black Friday sales begin at both Wal-Mart locations.
On Black Friday, you'll want to check out the toys and the electronics here. Wal-Mart has the largest collection of toys in Morristown. Last year, they had great deals on hot deal products and Dora the Explorer stuff. You can also find some cheap stocking stuffers and extras. Care Bear Gift sets with a bear and a video were only $5 last year. Also, expect good deals on gaming systems, televisions and I-Pods.
I know that no one wants to talk about underwear and sweats when you're thinking about Christmas, but Wal-Mart does have some very good deals on staple items on Black Friday. Who says you can't give people something they need for Christmas?
2. College Square Mall. The Mall is located at the corner of Davy Crockett Parkway and Morris Boulevard. Just go straight when you're leaving the Wal-Mart parking lot. Most stores, including Belk, J.C. Penney, Sears and Kohls, open at 6 a.m. Some of the smaller stores, like Claire's, won't open until 7 a.m. Two promotions you might want to check out: the first 100 customers in Sears get a $10 gift card and J.C. Penney will be giving away Disney snow globes. I'm not sure how many snow globes are given away, but I've gotten there as late as 10 a.m. and the store still has plenty.
Shop for the men in your life at Sears. Craftsmen tools are always on sale during Black Friday and what man doesn't appreciate tools given as Christmas presents. This Sears location has some electronics, so if that's on your Christmas list, look at the bargains. The children's department is a little small and there's not a house (linens, etc.) department at this location. Sources tell me that all Kenmore appliances will be on sale for 20 percent off on Black Friday. My husband and I got a very good deal on a widescreen t.v. last year, but we could not get it delivered until Jan. 3.
Belk, Penney's and Kohl's have huge clothing sales on Black Friday. This is a particularly good day for sleepwear and intimate wear, boots and holiday dresses. The mall also has a Radio Shack, which usually has great deals on Black Friday. Carolina Pottery is on the northern end of the mall and can't be accessed from inside. They have a huge selection of indoor and outdoor decorations. It's also a great starting point for homemade gifts. While you're at the mall, remember to request boxes when you purchase clothing. The department stores give them for free and they come in handy at wrapping time.
3. Leaving the mall, cross Morris Boulevard and go over the big hill and you'll find Big Lots in the Sky City Shopping Center on Andrew Johnson Highway. (The parking lot will be on your right before you get to the red light.) Big Lots usually opens the same time that Wal-Mart does. The store usually does have free gifts for the first 50 customers into the store. Last year, I think it was a shower radio. One warning: Big Lots often has a very limited number of sale items. If there's something you really want here, make this your first stop.
4. K-Mart. From Big Lots, get back on Morris Boulevard and go west. At the Morris Blvd./A.J. Highway intersection, turn left and you'll find K-Mart about a mile down the road. K-Mart often has door buster items all day, so it's safe to make it your last stop. K-Mart has the second largest selection of toys, so if you have kids, you'll probably be doing some of your Christmas shopping here. Black Friday is usually the best toy deals here all year.
5. jewelry. Morristown has several jewelry stores. All have Christmas sales but are not noted for Black Friday doorbusters. Pandora Bracelets, the really hot item this year, are available at East Tennessee Diamond Company on Main Street and The Jewel Palace on Morris Blvd. I believe both these stores will open at 9 a.m. on Black Friday. Both, though close at 6 p.m. East Tennessee Diamond Company is not open on Saturday.
6. Walgreens/CVS. Drugstores may not be the first place you think of on Black Friday, but both of these stores had great deals last Black Friday. Christmas wrapping paper, decorations and candy are expected to be their doorbusters this year. Walgreens' doorbusters will run until noon, so it can be a last stop like K-Mart. Both stores open at 6 a.m. You'll find a location of each at opposite corners of the Morris Boulevard/Andrew Jackson Highway intersection. CVS has a smaller store on the east end, located next to Big Lots.
7. Quilts. Morristown is lucky enough to have a great quilt store. It's called Nana Bear's Quilts and it's located on Main Street just past First Baptist. The store doesn't have Black Friday specials, but the prices are very reasonable and their quilts are heirloom-quality.
8. Colbach's Harley Davidson. No, I'm not suggesting you buy a Harley on Black Friday, although it would make an excellent Christmas present. This shop is a great gift store as well as a motorcycle dealership. A few years ago, I found some great boots for my husband during the dealership's Black Friday sale. The store is located on Davy Crockett Parkway, south of the mall and Wal-Mart. It doesn't open until 10 a.m. and it closes at 6 p.m., but any weekend sales will also be good on Saturday.
9. The Dollar Tree. Morristown's Dollar Tree is located in the same strip mall with Ross Dress for Less, just north of Wal-Mart on Davy Crockett Parkway. I stop here at the end of the day for all my wrapping needs. You can also find stocking stuffers and items for gift baskets. In my opinion, this is the best place in town for Christmas gift bags. All sizes are just $1, even huge ones. Last year, I found a bike bag here for just $1. The Dollar Tree opens at 6 a.m. and is open until 10 p.m.
10. Toys for Tots/Central Services. I know many shoppers do pick up toys for Toys for Tots on Black Friday. The Mall has a drop-off point. The really important thing is that Black Friday is usually the deadline to apply to receive Toys for Tots and a holiday Christmas basket. If you know of someone who needs these services, please direct them to Central Services on South Cumberland Street. Sometimes, parents wait until the last minute and then it's too late to apply. The people here are very helpful and non-judgmental. They close at 4:30 p.m.
Happy Black Friday!
Published by Amanda Cartwright
Amanda Cartwright lives in the South. She has written for newspapers and magazines for over 20 years. View profile
Next page: Jewelry Stores
Bookmark/Share This Page: